recipes for feeding the toddling masses...creating and posting happy and pleasurable eats for the mamas and the papas, the babies and everyone in between.

Monday, December 07, 2009

Oh, Hi there....


Littlefoodies is back with a brand new edition......

It's been a long while but its time to get things rolling again. Happy 4th of July, Happy Birthday, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Halloween, Merry Christmas/Holidays, and everything else that I have missed in the last 7 months. Life is busy around here. We started home schooling the Littlefoodie, who turned 5 this past summer. The household picked up and moved. we have a beautiful new garden bursting with broccoli, pumpkins, cauliflower, bok choy. The littlefoodie lost another tooth 2 weeks ago and is working on 3 more- 6 total! I have been sewing and having fun with that. We started a new square foot garden and have been living the best way we can- clean, green and full of imagination.

Today is a rainy day here in the land of sunshine and plastic surgery and we've all been hit and recovering him the sickness that seems to be milling around. After littlefoodie made a mural out of cardboard- depicting the waters of ancient Egypt (there is that awesome imagination) we decided to pull out some frozen cranberries and bake us some muffins. For the last few months I have been receiving an organic fruit box from Farmer Steve in Ramona which is put on by our local CSA's moderator. Bi-monthly I get the juiciest and sweetest oranges around, apples, pears, pomegranates, fuyu persimmons, passion fruits, juju fruit, quince, avocados (they are amazing and creamy) and whatever happens to be in season in the farm. They have also begun offering organic eggs! We took the rind and juice of some tangerines and combined with the tartness of fresh cranberries threw them into our muffins along with a handful of chopped walnuts. I am almost smell them now (as much as my stuffy nose can breath).

Later today I plan on puree the persimmons, as I have a crazy amount and throw them in the freezer to make persimmon jam later next week. These persimmons are like none others I have had.

Cranberry, Tangerine and Walnut Muffins

1 1/2 cups fresh organic cranberries
2 tbl organic cane sugar
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1 cup organic almond meal (can use regular flour, oat flour, barley flour, etc.)
1/3 cup organic cane sugar
4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
Zest of 2 tangerines or zest of 1 small orange and juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 organic egg
3/4 cup buttermilk (can sub regular milk, coconut milk, almond milk, etc.)
1/4 organic butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Line muffin tin with liners. Combine cranberries and 2 tbl sugar in a bowl.

Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, orange peel and salt. Stir. Combine egg, milk, butter and juice in a small bowl. Make well in flour mixture and add wet ingredients including cranberries and walnuts to dry. Folding until just incorporated. Spoon into muffin tins and bake 15 min at 400 F.

Enjoy!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous catherine said...

Thank you for sharing with me your muffin recipe. I will try it this weekend with my kids.

11:34 PM

 
Anonymous paul smith said...

Thanks for sharing

3:55 AM

 
Anonymous Breville BOV800XL said...

Muffins look great - can't go wrong with cranberries, tangerines and walnuts! I hope you add more recipes soon - have really enjoyed your posts.

8:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I love to make cranberry muffins for my family and share them with some special coffee flavors made with keurig k cups in my keurig b70 coffee maker.

I use both prepared mix and I also make some from scratch on my own.

10:20 AM

 
Blogger Christine Eubanks said...

"Later today I plan on puree the persimmons, as I have a crazy amount and throw them in the freezer to make persimmon jam later next week. These persimmons are like none others I have had."

Wow, i want to create that too. Can you post some pics about your persimmon jam?

Regards,
Jane R. James
Water Filter System

7:42 PM

 
Blogger Gee Pah She said...

Do you have a Pinterest account? We can't find you. We'd love to pin these. They look so good!

3:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home