recipes for feeding the toddling masses...creating and posting happy and pleasurable eats for the mamas and the papas, the babies and everyone in between.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tacos al Pastor- easy and good!


What can I say. Smoky, earthy chunks of pork. Handmade corn tortillas. Fresh juicy tomatoes tossed with lime, creamy perfect avocados, garlic and cilantro. Wrapped up and fit perfectly to the hand. Tacos al pastor and a simple and totally satisfying little taco and couldn't be easier. I served the tacos with grilled zucchini spears and yellow peppers tossed with black beans and lightly seasoned. When the weather is toasty these perfect tacos just need a beer for the other hand and all is well!

The marinade came together in the blender. I used 1/4 of an ancho chile pepper that I ground up in the spice grinder. Fresh is really best since you can really get the full flavor. If you can't find whole dried ancho chile peppers you can use a dried chile powder like New mexico or pasiilla, not cayenne!
Enjoy!

1 pork tenderloin, diced in chunks
1 large white onion, roughly chopped
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup chile powder
3 tbl ancho chile powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
3 garlic cloves, peeled
pinch of salt

In a blender combine onion through salt. Pour over pork in a bag and marinate for at least a few hours or over night. I had a little marinade left over which I plan to use on chicken for enchiladas next week!

Heat grill pan to med high heat with a touch of oil. Add pork and some marinade to coat all over. This stuff is good! Saute until cooked through 5-9 min, depending.

Serve in a corn tortilla with you favorite salsa, avocados or guacamole. Cilantro, lime wedges and a side of veggies.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous ::::wifemothermaniac:::: said...

My friend just picked me up an old school wooden tortilla press in Mexico, I have to wait a few weeks to get it but when I do I'm SO trying this yummy sounding recipe!

10:36 PM

 
Anonymous Zojirushi Rice Cooker said...

Wow, another great looking recipe. Mexican is one of my favs, beer with tacos is a must!

6:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home